GA Rick, Patrick:

The stuff from MIL-STD-188-141B that relates the MIL-STD-118-110x
modem and Data Link Protocols (DLP) via other standards (e.g.
FS-1052  DLP, S5066 DLP etc.) is all high speed serial tone and as
specified, not legal under FCC Part 97 at present in the U.S., I do
not know all the rules OCONUS. MIL-STD-188-110x with an added DLP is
quite doable on the PC Sound Device Modem, I have tailored it down to
where it is almost FCC legal, but when trying to go lower than a
1600bps symbol rate to get there it just failed to work, the PSK
carrier at 1200hz was as low as it could go, at that symbol rate and
carrier combination is a 2Khz BW from 200-2200hz but almost twice the
legal symbol rate the last I worked on it. I am hoping FCC rules
changes will allow it in the near future as it works great from a
150-2400bps coded data rate. The 75bps data rate uses a rake
algorithm which is nearly unstoppable but at a full 3Khz BW.

What Patrick and others could easily code on an FSK PC Sound Device
Modem that would be legal is the optional Data Block Message (DBM)
FEC (BRD) and ARQ protocols from MIL-STD-181-141x which is an 8FSK
125 baud protocol, it and GTOR are kissing cousins as Kantronics
developed GTOR with influence by the standards on which DMB is based.
All of the details are spelled out in the standards for anyone that
wishes to implement the protocol.

Get a copy of PC-ALE and single channel just establish a link between
you and another station and then fire off a DBM BRD or ARQ message,
there are settings for number of retries and maximum frame size, with
DBM supporting binary data there is also a DBM FTP selection for
sending files. The speed is always fixed at maximum.

/s/ Steve, N2CKH