One of the main interests that I have in digital modes is getting a
message through the most difficult conditions, completely intact as
sent, and as fast as possible. I was looking at the STANAG 5066
specifications and test results, (Steve has some below), and quite
frankly I am concerned that this standard has what I would normally
consider to be unacceptable performance (non performance) with weak
signals.

I am not sure what kind of cps or wpm throughput the bit rates mean but
it I wonder how it compares to SCAMP running at 10 db S/N?  Because
SCAMP only operated down to about +10 db S/N (maybe slightly better), it
was rejected as unacceptable for practical messaging.

 From the info on Steve's site:

http://www.n2ckh.com/MARS_ALE_FORUM/MIL-STD-188-110B.pdf

Here are some claimed performance levels:

Bit rate          Multipath          SNR          BER

4800                 2 ms             27 db         1 x e-3 with .5 Hz
fading BW
2400                 2 ms             30 db         1 x e-3 with  5 Hz
fading BW
1200                 2 ms             11 db         1 x e-5 with  1 Hz
fading BW
300                   5 ms               7 db         1 x e-5 with  5 Hz
fading BW
75                     5 ms               2 db         1 x e-5 with  5
Hz fading BW

Even with the slowest 75 bps, and a multipath of 5 ms, it can only work
down to 2 db ABOVE the noise! This is not good. From personal
experience, it is not easy to get even 10 db S/N signals with typical
amateur signals with modest antennas on the lower bands.

They even show some constellations at 64 QAM. From what the SSTV folks
have said, 64 QAM is not really a useful mode on HF. Perhaps that is
because they are not using ARQ?

Note also that the multipaths are moderate to low compared to worst case
HF propagation. I question whether this stuff can work under many
conditions we routinely operate with sound card modes (but are not 100%
copy without ARQ).

The BER that this system can handle seems to indicate that the channel
has to be rather good.  These BER's seem to be more appropriate for what
we would expect on equipment designed for VHF and up ...  aren't they?

For those of you who have used STANAG 5066 waveforms, what kind of
throughput have you experienced with real world connections?

The deeper I examine this NATO standardized agreeement, the more it is
beginning to look like another one of those "the emperor has no clothes"
findings.

Thanks and 73,

Rick, KV9U