Steve, I asked a few simple questions about the amateur
implementation of ALE; these questions were not focused on
politeness, but rather on understanding how many ALE users can be
simultaneously QRV if there's one pilot channel per amateur band.
Bonnie claimed 1000, but two multiplications and a division yields a
much lower number. If the model underlying this math is incorrect,
please set me straight.

I have reviewed enough of the military documentation to understand
that they employ dedicated ALE transceivers capable of much faster
scanning rates. As a result, sounding duration is signficantly
reduced, and channel capacity increases in proportion. But one ham
with an amateur transceiver limited to a 2 channel-per-second scan
rate would force all ALE participants to sound for 20 seconds, even
if their equipment could scan more rapidly. Do I have this right?

Since the 20 second sounding time is calculated to allow each station
to scan 40 frequencies without missing a sounding, one obvious step
to increase capacity would be to reduce the number of frequencies
being scanned. If there's only one pilot channel per amateur band,
scanning could be reduced to 10 frequencies, which would allow
sounding time to be reduced to 5 seconds. This would increase
capacity by a factor of 4 -- to ~120 simultaneous users, if I
understand correctly.

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, Steve Hajducek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
>  >At 10:53 PM 8/27/2006, you wrote:
>  >Does ALE provide some means of reducing contention?
>
> I recommend that to answer all of your technical questions on
subject
> ALE that you refer the actual Federal, Military and STANAG
Standards