Hi Rick,

At 01:53 PM 8/31/2006, you wrote:
>The PC-ALE program gave my some difficult times at first with crashing.
>I think I figured that out. At this time I don't see to be able to get
>the program to interface with my ICOM 756 Pro 2 rig through the CI-V.

For that model with the current PC-ALE you need to select the GENERIC
ICOM interface if you have not already done so and provide the needed
details and you want to select SLIT VFO to bypass the BPF relays
during Scanning until needed for TX. Many are using the 756PROII with
the current tool and this approach. CAT PTT is not supported.

>It may be possible for those who wish to install some kind of PTT
>control running under another COM port or virtual COM with USB, but I
>don't plan on using any software that doesn't key the rig via the CI-V
>which has this already built in.

Then you will just have to wait for the next next release of PC-ALE
then. Most but not all manufacturers now have CAT PTT in all their radios.

However you really can only count on radios using RTS/CTS handshaking
to always exercise all commands being sent to them, something that
ICOM does not support, Kenwood always has, Yaesu has only just added
it to their new FT-2000.

I remember back in the '80's when I first coded for the FT-980, all
software validation for each command, then Yaesu moved away from
that, they have been so inconsistent to their approach with radio CAT
that they any Ten Tec are tied for the worst, although they were on a
good track at first and so was Ten Tec early on when they were
emulating and adding to the ICOM CSMA system, Ten Tec via that
interface offered CAT PTT before ICOM ever did and then they went
amuck! Kenwood and ICOM have been the most stable and now the
FTdx9000 and FT-2000 are following Kenwoods command structure for the
most part. I love the Kenwood built in radio ID approach, in MARS-ALE
all you need to do is select Kenwood w/o RTS/CTS and baud rate, with
the radio on at program start it reads that radio ID and knows what
can be done with the attached radio. The ICOM addressable CSMA
approach (used by Ten Tec for years as well) has merits too as you
can control more than one radio (up to 6 actually) the bus and you
have built in collision support, Watkins-Johnson used (different
addressable header and other codes) it for years with their receivers
and then enhanced it beyond being compatible with ICOM and older Ten Tec's.

>What I would like to see is an ARQ sound card mode made available for
>digital use. Practically speaking this means something that drops into
>existing multi-mode sound card programs. Preferably, with the
>unbelievable Multipsk program which has rig control through Dave's DX
>Lab Commander program. There doesn't seem to be any other combination
>like that where two powerful programs become even more powerful through
>the synergy between them. I would like to see other ham developers and
>software experts move in a similar direction to expand the use of new
>modes that really make a difference.

I have too many projects going now to help make you happy on that score Rick.

At some point, now that the power of the CPU and OS has arrived, just
as I want to get back to my Sight It! tool, I want to get back to my
CATCC (http://www.n2ckh.com/download.htm) software as well. I lost
many years of development beginning in May '99 when I suffered an
accident that kept me from sitting at a computer after learning to
walk again etc., I did not start software development again until the
Fall of 2004 on MARS-ALE. When I can focus on the hobby again in a
big way I likely will, but at present my main focus is on the needs of MARS.

/s/ Steve, N2CKH/AAR2EY