Hi Rick,

At 01:24 PM 9/1/2006, you wrote:
>Can you explain how it is that you can run a symbol rate of 2400 (baud)
>with 188-110A and it works very well running at this extremely high
>speed for HF? And yet other modes, such as Packet, don't work very well
>at 300 baud, and Walt has pointed out that government studies had show
>that under 50 baud was about the optimum for the types of conditions we
>often find on HF?

See my reply to Mark.

>Why would we not just increase the baud rate of MT-63 or MFSK16 to get a
>similar speed boost if it can work that well?

There is a lot of differences here, if you focus on the MT-63 part of
your query that is more like the FSK aspect of MIL-STD-188-110 that
we have not coded but in only BRD and at a fixed data rate.

>How tight do you need the frequency tolerance to be to enhance weak
>signal modes? The ICOM Pro rigs run at around 0.5 ppm, which seems
>several orders of magnitude better than what some of the digital mode
>programs require. I wonder how much better a weak signal/difficult
>condition mode we could come up with if there was a tighter frequency
>tolerance.

That more than good in my book, it would be nice if everyone used
such a radio, but you have guys using 1980's rigs that were the first
to offer RS-232 control.

/s/ Steve, N2CKH