--- Joel Kolstad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If Pactor, packet Amtor, etc. all died because of
> the need for a $300 TNC,
> I think amateur radio as a hobby really is dying!
> $300 in today's money is
> nothing compared to what many amateurs paid for
> their HF rigs years ago.

I believe that remembering the 80's and 90's would be
good. You cannot use the same yardstick in every
country, there are specificities you cannot ignore.

While in North America the hams used TNC's, in Germany
a group of hams, precursors of the Baycom Group
invented the Digicom and the Digicom modem.

Even before, when the americans rode Cadillacs and
Buicks, the germans used their VW beetles and the
french their Citroens...

I also feel a decline in ham radio. Many reasons can
be invoked. A friend once told me that - "nowadays,
with the Internet and cell phones, there is no need to
torture yourself with learning electronics and the
Morse code. Ham radio is for romantics"

Lucky us that there are still romantics writing code
and homebrewing equipment!

73 de Jose, CO2JA

http://mail.yahoo.com

<*> Your email settings: