> Even though I am not an engineer, we know from P-25 that digital voice
> transmissions drop out before analog completely goes into the noise and
> it is my understanding that the narrowest BW they use is 6.25 KHz. And
> that is primarily for VHF/UHF frequencies that do not have the problems
> we have on HF bands.
>
> Since we are not likely going to be able to use wide BW HF signals here
> in the U.S., I really don't see DV being used that much on HF. It may be
> used more on the higher bands, but even then there MUST be some
> advantages to this new technology, other than just being new. Typically,
> you move toward new technology when it is either faster, lower cost,
> higher quality, or some combination of these and perhaps other
> attributes. Digital signals can offer this with text transmission
> (PSK31, MFSK16, Olivia, etc.) but it may not be able to offer benefits
> for amateur HF which operates very differently from what a non-technical
> user does on the commercial/military frequencies. Digital signals are
> limited by the science behind this technology and we can not change that
> unless some new breakthrough occurs.
>
> 73, Rick, KV9U

I am puzzled as to why one digital signal works
well under poor signal conditions and another does
not.

DSSTV and DV contain more data than the simple text common
to most digital modes, but that seems to be quantity vs kind.

Why would image or voice content be packaged differently,
and thus be less robust than text, please?

--

Thanks! & 73,
doc, KD4E

<*> Your email settings: