Even though I am not an engineer, we know from P-25 that digital voice
transmissions drop out before analog completely goes into the noise and
it is my understanding that the narrowest BW they use is 6.25 KHz. And
that is primarily for VHF/UHF frequencies that do not have the problems
we have on HF bands.

Since we are not likely going to be able to use wide BW HF signals here
in the U.S., I really don't see DV being used that much on HF. It may be
used more on the higher bands, but even then there MUST be some
advantages to this new technology, other than just being new. Typically,
you move toward new technology when it is either faster, lower cost,
higher quality, or some combination of these and perhaps other
attributes. Digital signals can offer this with text transmission
(PSK31, MFSK16, Olivia, etc.) but it may not be able to offer benefits
for amateur HF which operates very differently from what a non-technical
user does on the commercial/military frequencies. Digital signals are
limited by the science behind this technology and we can not change that
unless some new breakthrough occurs.

Ed Hekman wrote:

>I work in cellular communications and know that good voice quality
>can be maintained with a data rate of 8k bps.  It seems reasonable
>that useable voice quality can be produced with half that data
>rate.  Are there any communications engineers in this group that can
>give us some idea whether a useable quality digitized voice can be
>sent over a 2.5 KHz wide HF channel with SNR comparable to or less
>than what is required for analog voice?

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: