I personally can not support any modes wider than a standard SSB width.
I don't even support the use of wide band AM primarily because if you
let one mode use such a wide mode, then it is very difficult to suggest
that no other mode should use an equivalent space.

It might be acceptable to use a wide band mode during low band useage,
but it is impossible to police on a volunteer basis, thus the best thing
is to limit the bandwidths of our very finite resource that must be
shared with so many. The fact is that there are hams who don't even get
on at times because the bands are so congested. No reasonable person
could argue that having wider modes would not make this even worse.

We need to continue to advance our technological abilities and narrow
modes do this best. We already have the modes that operate about as fast
as they can for a given bandwidth and robustness. What we don't have are
modes that can adaptively change with the conditions although some can
have manual speed and other attribute changes.

With the ability to use the internet to communicate world wide as we are
doing with this reflector, and doing it with substantial amounts of
data, there is no need for amateur radio to duplicate such
communications. That is why the packet system has died. It had a short
period of time where it was useful and when it became obsolete, it was
no longer supported by the necessary critical mass of hams.

As I mentioned earlier, the only possible reason for high volumes of
data on HF would be for emergency communications and that is a noble
goal. And as I have often said, in order to maintain an effective
emergency network of any type, it must be regularly exercised,
preferably on a daily basis.

But there is almost no interest in any HF network of this kind and I
have almost never found any other hams who want to do this. Even the
ARRL NTS/D seems to not be all that successful and does not seem to be
growing.

Almost no other hams in our Section (state) have expressed a serious
interest in emergency digital communications. Our own state ARES/RACES
leadership discontinued their BBS system and later discontinued their
Pactor BBS as well and moved it to the SHARES program.

We have a state wide HF digital reflector and it has only had a couple
of comments over the past few years and that has mostly been from me and
a dwindling number of members (down to a baker's dozen), most of whom do
not actually seem to be active with HF digital. So I am not really sure
if there will ever be much practical HF digital emergency use in our
area.  Of course we have our emergency voice nets and and some CW
activity and that will probably be enough for tactical communications
for our area of the country where widespread disasters are rare.

We have a local county level amateur radio club which has its primary
focus on ARES/RACES. At the last meeting a presentation was made on
basic VHF packet radio and over the next few months we will be
continuing with additional information of this type. Very few of the
members are familiar with any digital radio concepts and other than some
minimal VHF APRS and a DX cluster, there is very little activity.

In the coming year we plan to have a presentation(s) on HF digital
operation, including standard keyboard modes and Winlink 2000. Setting
up a portable HF emergency digital station is not all that simple to do
compared to a basic voice or CW station. One of the most annoying things
to me is that laptops do not run on 12 vdc. Another problem is that most
of our members are Technician Class and do not plan to upgrade unless we
go to a no-code license as they have zero interest in CW.

So realistically, most of our digital ham radio activities will be
casual contacts and contesting and not surprisingly the popular modes
reflect that.

Here is the question that I have been asking myself:

If we could send very large amounts of data via high speed digital modes
on amateur radio frequencies, especially on HF, what exactly would we be
sending that we are not already sending?