Hello!

Yes, a second read of Bob's message clarified me.

I'm sorry for the missinterpretation of it.

On 12/30/06, Dave Bernstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Bob did not suggest a docking station, Sal, he suggested a second
hard drive. I have used his recommended solution with my IBM T42P
laptop, and it works extremely well; one can swap "identities" in the
time required to terminate Windows and reboot; the physical drive
swap takes a few seconds.

With respect to your claim that "The USB PEN drive will work on
almost every computer provided that the programs were correctly
installed", I suggest that you (carefully) open the Windows Registry
editor and examine the Software sections of HKCU and HKLM -- you'll
find that DX Atlas, DXLab, Ham Radio Deluxe, LotW, and QRZ all
maintain settings there. Other popular digital mode applications may
as well -- I don't have Digipan, MixW, or MultiPSK currently
installed on this PC, and my examination was cursory. There is no way
to "properly install" any of DX Atlas, DXLab, Ham Radio Deluxe, LotW,
or the QRZ CDROM callbook in a way that makes them pen-drive portable.

There are web pages that list pen-drive portable applications, e.g.

http://pendriveapps.com/

and

http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/369/656

but I've found no mention of digital mode amateur radio applications
so far. Establishing such a list would be helpful, but I suggest that
an application only be added after

1. its author asserts that the application is pen-drive portable

2. someone actually tests the application in a pen-drive portable
configuration

It would also be useful to compare performance in a pen-drive
configuration vs. a hard-drive configuration.

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Salomao Fresco"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> I know what I'm talking, because I've allready done it.
>
> The docking station is waaay more expensive than the 20 bucks of a
pen drive.

> Give it a try, if it doesn't work, the worst that can happen is
> getting "stuck with" a usb pen drive that can carrie a lot of files.
>
> Think of it.
>
> Regards
>

> On 12/30/06, Robert Chudek - KØRC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Well in christ's name (your terminology), your solution doesn't
solve Andy's
> > problem of putting personal software on a company computer. You
missed the
> > part that the registry is going to get updated (if it is even
accessible).
> > Read on.
> >
> > Credible IT departments tie down the operating system very tight
in order to
> > reduce the probability of employees hauling worms, viruses, and
other crap
> > into the office and spreading it across the Enterprise. I know, I
ran a
> > corporate IT department for 8 years. From a pure IT perspective,
laptops are
> > the most dangerous PC's on the Enterprise. It's much easier to
control and
> > manage desktop machines.
> >
> > The solution I would propose is to purchase a new drive and caddy
for the
> > laptop. Typically there is one screw that holds the HDD into the
laptop and
> > that screw is accessible from the outside of the case. Depending
on the
> > drive size you want, this can be less than a $100 investment.
> >
> > Get your own drive, format it up, load your OS, and install your
personal
> > applications. Swap the drives when you want to run your radio
applications
> > at home. But be aware if you bring your laptop into work with
your personal
> > drive installed, you'll get hauled in front of the CIO to explain
why you
> > are putting the company infrastructure in jeopardy. And the
incident will be
> > written up in your permanent record.
> >
> > If this sounds blunt and excessive... well you don't understand
the
> > nightmares IT departments face, trying to support large networks
that wrap
> > around the world.
> >
> > I don't know for whom Andy works, but if it's a large corporation
with an IT
> > staff, he may find the screw holding the disk caddy into his new
laptop has
> > been superglued into place. My engineers didn't go to that
extreme, but if
> > there was a laptop suspected of "issues", it got a fresh format
and a
> > "standard build" of corporate licensed software installed.

(it might
> > not work with all programs, because some of them need to install
some files
> > in the Windows folder).
> >

> >   Regards & Happy new 2007
> >
> >   Sal
> >
> >   On 12/29/06, Dave Doc Corio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >     Excuse me for jumping in here, but I'd like to add one thing.
Please be
> > sure the power supply in the PC is capable of carrying the extra
load. Many
> > computers being made contain only a bare minimum power supply -
usually on
> > the order of 200 or 250 watts. While this is adequate for what is
in the PC
> > at the time it is shipped, adding peripherals can overload the
power supply.
> > Adding an extra hard drive, CD/DVD burner, video card and audio
card can tax
> > a minimal power supply and cause many problems. Usually, just
adding one of
> > these is not a major concern, but consider upgrading the power
supply if
> > you're adding several. A 450 watt power supply is generally
fairly cheap -
> > on the order of $35 to $60, and can save headaches down the road!
> >
> >     73
> >     Dave
> >     KB3MOW
> >
> >     > A computer, intelligent, friend of mine has been educating
me of
> > swapping
> >     > hard drives... For example, drive C..is usually marked
at 'master' and
> > the
> >     > others are marked as slaves....
> >     > The marking is a jumper ..
> >     > On the bank of your hard drive are three recepticles...
> >     > The first one is a long plug, of which the data flows...
> >     > The second plug / receptical contain 4 rather heavy wires..
marked
> > yellow,
> >     > black, black and red.. they contain the D.C. wiring.. I
assume by the
> >     > colours....
> >     > The third plug has no opposite polarity receptical but
contains
> >     > jumper(s)... This is the jumper which determnes whether or
not the
> > hard
> >     > drive is a slave or master drive...
> >     > On one side of your hard drive, you should notice some
printing which
> >     > tells you how to make the drive a master or slave...
> >     > You follow the instructions to make that drive a master or
slave....
> >     > This will allow you to put another drive onto your existing
> > computer....
> >     > including removing them should you desire....
> >     > I had three computers.. I took the oldest computer's hard
drive out
> > and
> >     > put them into my newer computer... making the older
computer's drive C
> > my
> >     > newer computer's drive D, or which ever letter was
available....
> >     > Now I do realise I have probably drifted somewhat off topic
but I hope
> > the
> >     > information was of some value...
> >     >
> >     > Larry ve3fxq
> >     >

> >   --
> >   Cumprimentos
> >
> >   Salomão Fresco
> >   CT2IRJ
> >
> >   If it works... dont fix it!
> >

> --
> Cumprimentos
>
> Salomão Fresco
> CT2IRJ
>
> If it works... dont fix it!

Suggested Calling/Beaconing Frequencies:
17M: 18103.4
20M: Primary:14.078.4 Secondary:  14.076.4 Digital Voice: 14236
30M  Primary:10.142   Secondary   10.144
40M  Region 2: 7073   Region 1/3:   7039
80M  Primary : 3583   Secondary:  3584.5
Announce your presence via our DX Cluster telnet://cluster.dynalias.org

Cumprimentos

Salomão Fresco
CT2IRJ

If it works... dont fix it!