Steve and group,

The part of ALE that has this ARQ mode sounds pretty good. Is it fair to
say that the 8 tone modulation is actually closer to what Pactor 3 uses?
The speed is a bit fast for many HF conditions but it has FEC as well as
ARQ so like Pactor, is that why it tends to overcome some of the ISI issues?

Can you just use the PC-ALE program and connect to another station for
an ARQ transfer of data or even a keyboard connection?

If this mode is this good, what is the possibility of adapting it for a
high speed digital sound card mode and have it incorporated into the
multimode sound card programs?

How can this mode handle ARQ with sound card/computer timing constraits?

Some of us in the amateur digital community have been hoping for some
kind of ARQ sound card mode. Are we overlooking an already invented
sound card protocol as Bonnie had mentioned last summer, except that
ideally it would scale down in baud rate if conditions require it?

I tried to find more information on the specifications but did not find
any. I would not consider this mode to be legal on amateur radio
frequencies until it has an easy to access specification as required by
the FCC. This really should be detailed on the ARRL web site along with
the many other digital specs, don't you think?