Hi Rick,

The U.S. Declaration of Independence of late has become a popular
MARS EXERCISE test message in testing MARS-ALE and with ALE DBM ARQ,
that as the body of the message along with the standard MARS message
header and tail takes just over 6 minutes if there are no ACK/NAK
failures using a frame size of setting of 10 seconds of data which
means less data is sent prior to an ACK/NAK, if you increase that
from 10 to 100 the message will go some what faster as there are less
ACK/NAK handshakes, however if their is a handshake failure due to a
poor channel than a much longer frame needs to resent which would
mean the message would take much longer than if a shorter frame was sent.

PC-ALE always requires and ALE link first, you can't just use DBM
ARQ, however a ham program can be written to drop the ALE link and
just implement DBM BRD and DBM ARQ, all the details are published in
standards to do so. In MARS-ALE as soon as I have the time such will
be the case as well. PC-ALE is configured as a data message tool
where you type or paste a message and just send it. The interface is
not a keyboard to keyboard interface per see as you need to go
through menus to keep getting back to the point where you send the
message. However in the most recent version there is a one lone data
bar for sending a message in any mode, this provides for keyboard to
keyboard without the changing focus, and DBM ARQ is bidirectional,
thus technically both station can both be sending those one line
messages at the same time and as fast as they can type, but the
interface is really designed to buffer all this so that you can, I
have testing the bidirectional aspect and it does work but you can't
load it up, you can send a full message from both ends and watch the
exchange where they will pop up on each stations display, the
shortest message will usually finish first. The Military
implementation of DBM ARQ seems to be all keyboard to keyboard
buffered terminals with type ahead buffers triggered to send when x
amount of data is ready by configuration parameter settings. I did
recently add LISTEN mode to MARS-ALE which is like GTOR Monitor or
PACTOR PLISTEN for DBM and DTM ( DTM is not deeply interleaved as is
DBM) and its rather amazing how well one can monitor a DBM ARQ
message when not in the link, yes you will get frame repeats when
sent, but unless you loose sync on a poor channel you get the entire
message and with far fewer repeats than you do when listening to
PACTOR I by the way.

By the way, data compression can be applied to DBM ARQ where mixed
cased messages will benefit the same as GTOR and PACTOR do, thus you
can more than double the throughput that I mentioned earlier, this
will be in the next release of PC-ALE as a user selected option.

When you leave PACTOR I, which for a PII or PIII modem is just used
for the initial link and then a negotiation to a higher mode/data
rate you start to move away from FSK, basically what SCS has done is
to follow what the Military has been doing over the last 10+ years
whereas PIII is pretty much the SCS version of Military waveform's
that are used on the MIL-SDT-188-110 modem.

Someone should really look at making a stand alone DBM ARQ terminal
program and DBM ARQ BBS if an excellent FSK ARQ PCSDM based system is
desired, the speed and robustness are all good and the protocol is
all published and free to implement. I believe that I read on this
forum that ALE Sounding and Decoding was added to MultiPSK for an
experiment? That's not really something that has any usefulness in a
program such as MuliPSK, however DBM ARQ would be just the thing.

The turn around time after the sending station sends a DBM ARQ frame
( or block ) is seconds, not milliseconds, the receiving station
should immediately respond, but in a few seconds if no response is
heard or if the response is heard and is bad, the sending station
sends the last frame again, if the receiving station gets a frame
twice that match then one is tossed, when all is said and done if the
message is complete you have success and if not you have a failed
message. During the process if the number of retries set to send a
frame is ever exceeded ( it resets on each successful frame) then you
have a failed message. Lately with MARS-ALE we have been sending long
messages on poor channels over short and long distances where DBM ARQ
gets through and GTOR and PACTOR I at times fail, pretty amazing,
here I am using a KAM Plus, KAM XL for both modes and also an SCS
PTCII Pro at times, but mostly the KAM Plus on my 24/7 station. That
24/7 ALE station by the way is using the on-board AC'97 sound device
and its a laptop PC, worst case when talking about good, low jitter,
low noise PCSDM, PCI is much better and external PCSDM is the best,
which I also have and use, but I always do most of my development
work with worst case, obviously when switching over to the
MIL-STD-188-110 PCSDM based modem that AC'97 limits the data rate,
600bps is usually the best, where as I can get 2400bps coded on a PCI
based system and better with an external device.

You want MIL-STD-188-141B for the latest standard, but '141A or even
FS-1045 will provide all the needed details on DBM, just search the web.

/s/ Steve, N2CKH