A couple comments on KV9U's notes... (one > is Jose)

> KV9U wrote:
>
>  > When you are using xNOS aren't you also needing to be using TCP/IP
>  > with considerable overhead? From what I have understood, using xNOS
>  > on a 1200 baud system is not really practical although at 9600 baud
>  > it is OK.

The beauty of xNOS is that you can choose.  You can use the TCP/IP
with it's more overhead and better routing or you can use the more
efficient legacy FBB/W0RLI BBS forwarding technology.  You can route
the messages any way you want.

1200 works ok as long as you have a good RF path and keep the messages
from getting too big.

>  Sometimes, bad setups with miserable antennas and bad parameters took a
>  bigger toll than the TCPIP overhead...

Yup. - given good RF, like a regenerating repeater, you can move lots
of traffic even at 1200 baud.

>  > With the IP numbered system, such as the amateur radio 44 IP numbers,
>  >  you have to register your specific address with a central authority,
>  >  although I have never quite understood how it is used. You would
>  > need to go to your areas AMPRNET Coordinator:)

Totally not needed for any *nos work.  It's been a big distraction
from the important stuff of passing messages on the air.   Just treat
the RF like you do a home LAN and use the 192.168 numbers.  When you
have a real Internet presence, use no-ip.com or other dynamic dns
service to publish it.

>  > If you had JNOS, what speeds were you running it at and why did it
>  > discontinue operation?

Discontinue?  Just looking for time to get it ported to a WRT54G or NSLU2

>  JNOS and TCPIP, or Linux, have not become POPULAR because they are not
>  really plug and play to work at low speeds, you have to know what you
>  are doing. The learning curve is steep and it is really not for the
>  faint of heart.

That is the truth.  Not worth the effort for most folks in this era of
web portals and you-tubes.

73
Bill