Might want to add truck drivers to your worry list, too. Would you believe you can get a CDL in Pennsylvania that certifies you to drive a tractor-trailer rig without ever having driven one? A single axle dump truck with a low boy gets you certified to drive any big rig, excepting HAZMAT or liquids.

Back to the topic. I've been licensed since 1967, and was required to learn the code up to 13 wpm for my general class ticket. I've been against no-code since it was first brought up years ago, but have come to a 180-degree turnaround on it. The fears that it would turn the ham bands into another CB free-for-all have been put to rest. We need an infusion of new blood in the hobby. Some will be bad, but hopefully most will be a good shot in the arm. How much worse can it get, when 75 meters already sounds like channel 19? I was lucky in that CW came easy for me. The tech part was my nemesis! No-code will open the door for many folks who looked at the code requirements akin to learning a foreign language!

   Us older hams will have to lead by example.

73
Dave
KB3MOW

Danny Douglas wrote:

It is frightening to think that healthcare givers are "taught the test". I
would hope mine would know what he was doing from knowledge, not from taking tests designed that way. With the FAA, it is also extremely scarey to think
those guys are flying over my head without knowing why. Or at least a few
may. The airlines have some pretty darn good training before the pilots on
their airlines are allowed to turn on the key. Hi

We have a SOL here in the schools. Not the sol that comes to mind, but it
might as well be. Its a standard of learning, approved by the state board
of education, and much of it is just plain stupid. Can you imagine teaching
2nd graders all about Egypt, its ancient leaders, etc. These kids hardly
understand yesterday and tomorrow, so what do 20 centuries mean to them?
They pick one country in Africa and study it throughly. Always some place
that doesnt mean a thing to their parents or anyone else. They tell them
about American Natives, (Indian is a political no-no) but only cover one
Eastern tribe, the Souix, and then clump in all SW indians as Pubelos. They send the questions home, weeks in advance, and almost daily the homework is
to study the two sheets of paper with their parents. Then when the test
comes, they ask those exact same questions. My grandson has maxed every one
of those tests so far this year. What astounded me is that a good half of
the class - didnt! As his Grandpa," he is brilliant" -- but I know he
really isnt - just smart as a whip. HI.

But, what good are such tests? Got me! I teach ham radio knowledge, not
ham radio questions. Yeah - I do take the questions and look at them
closely and insure that is the very minimum on each given subject, and that
I put in them in the lesson plan. But I also explain and demand the
students KNOW what it means, and why. They should be able to sit for the
test, having never seen the questions, and FIGURE out, from their attained
knowledge, what the answers are. Sadly that is no longer the case with most
people now taking the test. They are expected to know how to get on the
air, how to act, how to do everything, without having been taught by anyone.
Danny Douglas N7DC
ex WN5QMX ET2US WA5UKR ET3USA
SV0WPP VS6DD N7DC/YV5 G5CTB all
DX 2-6 years each