Nino,

That was kind of my thought...interesting about the Chip64 decoder...I will
have
to study the mode more.

In my post I did day that it was a 100 mile path but did not stipulate that is
was all over land.  Also, unless you live in an area where the ground
conductivity changes a large amount over 100 miles...as in transmitting from
the
coast to inland, you won't generally see all that much change as the ground
conductivity is gradual...except as the above case and some places in Colorado,
California and Germany that I know about.  Thus I normally tend to disregard
loss due to ground loss/attenuation.

Also, you might be thinking that the first hop of three hops ia 33 miles, the
second 66 miles and the third 100 miles.  Not necesarly so and generally not.
The First hop might be anywhere from 10-15 miles to 35 miles, the next hop more
or less than 66 miles and the third hop more or less than 100 miles.

When the signal "hits the ground" it spladders as my old PhD in physics Elmer
used to say...he maintained that it created another set of groundwaves and that
groundwaves from the various hops could mix with the skywave signals and cause
even worse signals that you describe Nino.  REalize that this was in the 60's
and his observations were from the 30's and 40's when little was really known
about the ionosphere.

Also there are hops between the F1 and F2 layer during the day so in fact you
might have 3-6 hops before you receive the signal with only 2 being skywave
hops.  Very complex.

The key to overcoming all this has got to be a way to know exactly which signal
is the "real" signal.  There is a "system" that originally used an atomic clock
to track signals and today uses a GPS  clock.  I can't say much more about that
system. (Because I don't know much more about it.)

IMHO, the PSK modes have dealt adequately with the noise problem but the
problems caused by the ionospheric have yet to be adequately addresses.

Thanks for your input Nino.

73 All and CUL,

Walt/K5YFW