It is legal under FCC rules for W1AW to transmit code practice under
97.111 Authorized transmissions.

(b) In addition to one-way transmissions specifically authorized
elsewhere in this Part, an amateur station may transmit the following
types of one-way communications:

(5) Transmissions necessary to assisting persons learning, or improving
proficiency in, the international Morse code;

(6) Transmissions necessary to disseminate information bulletins;

It would not come under the same rules as repeaters since they are
placed by permission of the frequency coordinator which is whatever
group is formed by the radio amateurs in that area or section, etc. The
FCC considers them to hold the most weight.

97.3 Definitions.

/(22) Frequency coordinator/. An entity, recognized in a local or
regional area by amateur operators whose stations are eligible to be
auxiliary or repeater stations, that recommends transmit/receive
channels and associated operating and technical parameters for such
stations in order to avoid or minimize potential interference.

Any uncoordinated station needs to resolve interference to a coordinated
station.

Under Part 97.113 Prohibited Transmissions, there are some exceptions
for even the operators of a code practice station. This was tailor made
specifically for the ARRL operators and placed into the rules by request
from the ARRL.

(d) The control operator of a club station may accept compensation for
the periods of time when the station is transmitting telegraphy practice
or information bulletins, provided that the station transmits such
telegraphy practice and bulletins for at least 40 hours per week;
schedules operations on at least six amateur service MF and HF bands
using reasonable measures to maximize coverage; where the schedule of
normal operating times and frequencies is published at least 30 days in
advance of the actual transmissions; and where the control operator does
not accept any direct or indirect compensation for any other service as
a control operator.