Thanks, Rick. The 500 Hz makes sense, since some of the modes are over 250
Hz. I have the twin passband, too, but it's just not as effective as I'd
like. The APF/ANF on the non-Pro works great on CW, and with just the APF
on narrow, I can narrow the passband down to around 30 Hz, but that
doesn't do me much good for PSK hi hi! I should have waited for the Pro to
come out!

Tnx es 73
Dave
KB3MOW

Hi Dave,

> Yes, the narrower filters will help a great
deal. I have an ICOM rig
> that needs to be centered on 1500 Hz
when operating in SSB modes so I
> try and move them to that
point if I can. Then I have DSP filters that
> enable me to close
the "window" as tight as I need to. I also have Twin

PBT which enables me to dial each side of the interference. But the
> actual bandpass filters are much more effective with the really
strong
> signals.
>
> If I could only have one
additional filter than the stock SSB filter, I
> would go for the
500 Hz filter since it is very useful for CW use as
> well as
narrow to medium digital modes. I have a 270 Hz crystal filter

in my Kenwood TS-440SAT that I find rather narrow although some might
> prefer that for CW.
>
> If you go narrower than
500 Hz, you can not use a number of digital
> modes that are
around or slightly under 500 Hz, but may not fit well
> into at
250 Hz bandpass.

> 73,
>
> Rick,
KV9U

> Dave wrote:
>> Has anyone tried
using either a 250 Hz or 500 Hz filter for PSK31
>> reception?
My Icom IC-746 (non-Pro) has no filters installed, and is

wide as a barn door on USB for PSK31. I wondered if either of these
>> filters would help, or would they be too narrow?
>>

>> The pass-band shift does a fair job of eliminating QRM from
one side
>> or the other of the selected frequency, but when
there are two very
>> strong signals within 2 Khz on each side
at the same time, they just
>> aren't effective on both.
>>
>> Any input appreciated!
>>
>> Thanks in advance es 73