Other strong signals in the passband of the IF will densense the
following stages and cause AGC action.  If you have no AGC, then you
will overdrive the sound card audio stage with the strong signal in an
attempt to copy the wreak one.
The DSP filter in ICOM rigs is at the IF level and is accomplishing the
same effect as an xtal or mechanical filter in some other rig such as an
FT-817, because it is before the AGC.
73,