This is the part that is incredibly baffling to those of us outside the United
States.

The argument that us Cannucks and our Aussie cousins have very few hams and
very limited
population is valid only on VHF/UHF, since HF has no boundaries when it comes
to propagation.

90% of Canada's population is within 100  miles of the US border, so all of our
radio traffic heard on the ham bands is
from the south. The Aussies have Japan as one easy bounce for them, with the
multitude of JA hams providing
lots of traffic.

We used to have a lot of rules, modes , emission types, etc. similar to the
FCC. This has since been abolished in favour
of frequency limits, maximum bandwidth (6khz) and maximum power allowed. No
regulations exixt on what modes can be used where, etc.
This has not produced chaos in the ham bands, nor do we set up and operate
digital data in what is traditionally the SSB
portion of the band. We simply follow the traditional band usage that has been
around for 70 years or more.

Sure we mix modes at some points, especially on 40M where from 7050 to 7100 is
used by SSB, RTTY and other digital modes
at the same time in Canada. Has it been a problem? Not to my knowledge. Would I
knowingly start calling CQ in a digital mode on top
of a SSB QSO? No, out of respect for my fellow hams who were there first. The
only real problems we have on 40M is the large number of DX stations
using that segment during a contest, transmitting blind since they are all
running splits and listening high on 40M. (I know I'll hear from Danny on this)

Sure there will always be "lids" who have to run power and whatever since "it
is their right to do so,and no guvmint gonna tell me what to do"
We have all seen them on PSK31, running enough power to run a small village and
basically wiping the band out for everyone.
fortunately they are the minority.

So why not go for less rules? Maybe the FCC would welcome this since they would
not have to enforce the present rule structure,
thus saving a little money. The hams in the US would then be allowed to
experiment with new technologies such as RFSM2400 without fear of
penalties, and this in turn would lead to better modes.

It seems to come down to a matter of trust and respect within the ham community
to be able to work with few regulations.

John
VE5MU

  Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Re: Gray Areas of Ham Radio Regulations and Rules

  The problem is that I am in the minority. From what I can tell, most
  hams want modes kept as separate as possible and Danny has pointed out
  the problems you have with mixing modes which has somewhat tempered my
  enthusiasm.

  Wouldn't you agree that the reason that you may be able to have fewer
  rules (assuming you really do since I have not read your rules), is due
  to your very low density of population, both in terms of square miles
  and number of hams?