Walt,

These numbers are completely unrealistic. Even as someone who is
politically active with ham issues, I rarely send any comments to my
division director and never the president. And not even the FCC. So
someone is sending these messages, but they are doing it to the FCC
because that is who makes the rules.

The one thing that probably surprised a number of us was the power that
an individual petitioner had relative to the the ARRL. It seemed it was
almost equal status at times. The FCC picked and chose what they wanted
as the outcome and selected from the various proposals and comments.
Even quoting certain hams comments as factual studies of frequency useage.

The overwhelming majority of hams are not ARRL members. In fact, the
number is very low, around 20% from what I have heard. Those 80% of hams
do not have a voice at ARRL. But they do have a voice at the FCC, and as
they recently found out,  it is quite a strong one.

The ARRL has to be very careful with their decisions and policy as most
leadership does not want to disconnect from their members too far. In
the latest FCC rule decisions, I have seen people attack the ARRL as if
they had asked the FCC to make certain decisions. In fact, the FCC made
decisions contrary to the ARRL's recommendations.