This number is really quite large. I would not concur that there are
500K active hams though. Not even half of the licensed hams are really
very active. And the great majority of hams are Technician class and not
as concerned about anything that might affect HF, so they would not even
understand or respond to the issues.

It is actually quite rare to get anyone to "write their congress
person." Normally, you take a written comment and multiply it by at
least 25 to get a feel for to actual number of people with similarly
held views. That is why 1471 responses is such a significant number with
such a small population of hams.