The FCC classes all automatic stations as ... automatic. While they
don't use the terms, semi-automatic and fully automatic, we hams find it
convenient to use these short hand descriptors.

Part 97.221(b) indicates that RTTY/data emissions may be automatically
controlled in the VHF and higher bands and also specific narrow HF sub
bands. This is what most of us call fully automatic operation. The
station can initiate transmissions without a control operator.

97.221(c) goes on to say that automatic control of RTTY/data emissions
may also be transmitted on any frequency authorized for RTTY/data as
long as it is responding to interrogation by a station under local or
remote control _and_ is no wider than 500 Hz. This is what most of us
call semi-automatic operation.

If the "semi-automatic station is wider than the allowed 500 Hz, it must
operate within the automatic sub band. That is why Pactor 3 stations
operating under semi-automatic operation are only inside the sub bands.
There are other Pactor 3 stations that are operating within the
RTTY/data area but they must be operated by a control operator if they
are being operated legally.

If you do not use the terms fully automatic and semi-automatic, then
what terminology would be better?