What I would like to see developed is a MS OS version of PSKmail so that
this technology could be used to a greater degree here in the U.S. Linux
adoption is very low yet and probably will be this way for many years in
this part of the world.

Automatic operation has been with us for many years and it would be very
unlikely for the FCC to rescind the rules on RTTY/data automatic
operation. Especially considering the strong support from the ARRL that
got this adopted a decade or so ago.

What I personally would like to see are cross platform, inter-operative
narrow to medium bandwidth, non-proprietary modes for messaging on HF so
that the bands are shared more equitably instead of having stations with
extreme wide bandwidth operation and which are inefficient users of the
spectrum compared to many narrow, but simultaneous users being able to
communicated on our shared frequencies.

When you use Mono, don't you have to write programs with this in mind?
Or can you actually convert existing programs? My impression is that you
need to develop programs that can access the Mono API and C# language.