>  Could you enlighten us on just exactly what "modes" are being blocked
>  by the current regulations.  What bands do these modes operate on?
>  What is the purpose of the blocked modes?

That's a big part of the problem with the previous proposal.  It
created new blocks we don't have today.

>  The ARRL stated that very wide multi-tone modems ARE allowed under
>  current regulations and I guess I'm just not educated enough to know
>  that implementation of some better modes are being blocked.  Heck,
>  pactor 3 only operates at 100 baud.  Does SCS have an even better
>  modem that works at something over 300 baud?

I don't know about SCS -- that's not the point.  The critical issue is
not to purposely burden ourselves with arbitrary restrictions not
based on technology.   Keeping tomorrows 20 KHz or 50 KHz soundcard
modes off the bands with todays rules is not a good thing.

My fantasy is for the Fairy Godmother to wave her magic wand and carve
(some?) of the bands into 3 pieces.   One for narrow and manual modes.
 One piece for legacy medium bandwidth voice modes.  The remaining
piece would be completely open.  A place where anything goes where we
can experiment and advance the art.

It's good to dream!

73
Bill - WA7NWP