  From: jgorman01
  To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 20:47 UTC
  Subject: [digitalradio] Re: FCC regulations (was Digi Voice)

  Shifting the bfo in a crystal filter rig does not change the
  bandwidth, it only changes the frequencies passed. That is, going
  from 300 - 3000 Hz (2.7 kHz bandwidth) to 100 - 2800 Hz (2.7 kHz
  bandwidth). Some ESSB folks do this so they can emphasize the bass
  but they do so at the expense of high freq response and also moving
  the opposite sideband up the attenuation curve of the filter resulting
  in less opposite sideband suppression.

  I doubt many rigs allow you to enable the NBFM in SSB mode since the
  circuitry for each mode is entirely different.

  Also, the rigs you are talking about don't have audio amplifiers that
  would support this kind of bandwidth without modification. The T2/R2
  combo's wouldn't only require modifications to the audio filters but
  also to the audio stages. Those amps don't have the linearity to
  support a 20 kHz bandwidth.

  Granted the SDR radios may be able to do this kind of bandwidth. They
  are the only radios I know of that could possibly do so out of the box.

  Basically, there aren't any well known commercial rigs available to do
  this bandwidth using sound card modems.

  Jim
  WA0LYK

  --- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "John B. Stephensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  wrote:

  > In J3D you just need more subcariers. Up to a 5 or 6 kHz bandwidth,
  many transceivers will let you offset the BFO far enough to use a
  sound card modem. At one point WinDRM had a 5 kHz wide mode. There
  might be some tansceivers that would allow a 12 kHz bandwidth if you
  can enable the NBFM filter in SSB. Many shortwave receivers now allow
  this as they are designed to receive 5-10 kHz wide DRM broadcasts
  using a PC to demodulate the 12 kHz IF.

  > For 20 kHz bandwidths you'd need a software-defined radio like the
  SDR-1000 or Soft Rock 40 where all the signal processing is done in
  the PC. The T2 and R2 radios described in QST 10 years ago would also
  be ideal for this use as the audio filters can easily be widened.
  There were hams working on wideband HF modes but I don't know what
  effect the ARRL pushing a 3 kHz limit has had. They did endorse 16 kHz
  bandwidth OFDM on 10 meters.

  > 73,
  >
  > John
  > KD6OZH