I wasn't restricting my comments to HF. The FCC regulations seem excessively
complex and I'd like to see fewer restrictions on HF, VHF and UHF bands. I'd
like to see any mode allowed on any part of any band with restrictions only on
bandwidth. Some countries impose an 8 kHz bandwidth limit on HF and others
don't impose any limits. I haven't seen government regulations from any other
country (at least from Australia and a few European countries) that specify
nearly as much detail about emissions as those in the U.S.

If I'm at the low end of an HF band, I can now send send text (RTTY), data or
images using PSK31. If I'm at the high end of the band, I'd like to send text,
voice, data or images in a 20 kHz bandwidth on wider bands or 8 kHz on narrower
bands. Right now data and text are limited to the lower portions of each band
where wideband emissions would be a problem. If I'm on a VHF band I'd like to
see a 200 kHz bandwidth limit for portions of each band rather than the 20 kHz
limit. On 70 cm I'd like to eliminate the 100 kHz bandwidth restriction on data
and make it at least 6 MHz.

I have operated HF digital modes on 40, 20 and 10 meters in the past, but my
experments with wideband digital modes have been restricted to 6 meters and 70
cm.

73,

John
KD6OZH