There has been some criticism of the U.S.'s supposedly backward ways
with amateur radio bandwidths, and other countries (practically everyone
else?) being so advanced in this area.

If it is true that others are not being held back, what actual new
wideband HF modes have been developed that we can not use in the U.S.?

How many are actually using these new modes? If not, why are you not
doing so?

Or is all this criticism being levelled at the U.S. without any substance?