I have seen some multi screen shacks. In fact, I think one ham has 5
screens for various functions, some of which are dual screens with one
computer. My idea was to keep things a bit simpler so I wanted only one
screen that was at the "right" distance for my limited eyesight
accommodation. In fact, I have some "computer" glasses which have a
large upper area set to the screen distance and the lower for reading
distance. It makes a huge difference for me compared to trying to see
the screen with the center of my trifocals. Progressive lenses have a
very small sweet spot for a given distance so I have not gone that route
either.

My 22" Samsung 225BW works well with either Windows XP or Vista as long
as you insure that the screen is connected to and turned on when you
boot up the computer as it has to detect and set the screen parameters.
Otherwise, it can look as bad as it does with Linux OS and that is
completely unacceptable to me.

Other advantages of a large widescreen is the ability to play widescreen
movies to match the screen size (larger) and it makes it easier to bring
up two documents you are working between and drag and drop as needed.
The one downside is that you don't necessarily have more real estate to
work with, it is just wider and because of that, you make not see as
many lines of text in a document as you would with a 4:3 monitor. As you
probably have noticed, almost all the monitors sold now are widescreen.
Same trend with notebook computers.