Hi Brian,

If you are using a large size monitor, you won't really lose a lot of
text since the monitor screen real estate is physically larger than many
of the smaller 4:3 monitors. Compare a 19" 4:3 running at 1280x1024, to
a 22" wide screen 16:9 which typically runs 1680x1050. Your vertical is
still larger than the previous monitor although I think there could be a
smaller size pixel. Of course, one thing you can not do with LCD
monitors is make the fonts larger by using a smaller resolution like we
did with CRT monitors. And the operating system drivers must be able to
handle the widescreen monitor. This should be no problem with MS
products but my experience with Linux has been very disappointing.

[As I side note, the latest 7.10 Kubuntu, Tribe 4 (or 5?) that I
downloaded today still does not support the Samsung 205/225 SyncMasters.]

I am thankful that we can use the control - plus and minus keys to
temporarily adjust font size in many documents as I have difficulty with
some smaller fonts.

Some monitors are intended to rotate sideways and you could use them to
view a full document, however, I wonder if the 22" size monitors would
be excessively large unless you wanted to see the entire page larger
than lifesize?  The real estate on my 22" monitor is 11 3/4" high and 18
1/2 inches wide. This enables me to place two pages side by side at
almost full size and view most of both pages. I wish this had been
available in the past when I used to be a consultant who did a fair
amount of document development and needed to compare docs and cut and
paste, etc.