Robert,

I have brought this up many times, but there are new people that may not
be aware of the SCAMP (Sound Card Amateur Messaging Protocol) testing
that we did several years ago. I spent many hours with this technology
and I can tell you that it is an outstanding program. I am not sure why
the software author thought that RDFT was going to operate down close to
zero dB. Some of us pointed out that it was not reasonable considering
that the Linux source was used by other programmers to develop the first
SSTV programs and we knew that they required signals well above the
noise.  Unfortunately when the program did not work as well as expected
they completely abandoned it (and us) and worse, had timers to insure
that the software would self destruct so that no one else could use it
or share it with anyone. To say that I was appalled is putting it mildly.

At the time that SCAMP was developed, the common wisdom (that is often
not that wise) said that you could not do what you also claim can not be
done, with detecting and responding to many different waveforms, and
within a given bandwidth, and at a certain level, and that it could be
adjustable. SCAMP proved them wrong. Steve Ford, WB8IMY, who is now QST
Editor and long time digital promoter, and others such as myself, were
able to get the software up and running and made connections through one
of the three SCAMP HF servers that were then available.

The timing feature (like throwing dice) is basically the same concept we
use in networking such as ethernet to reduce (but not completely avoid)
collisions. It is an excellent feature but could be changed any way you
wanted, assuming you had a better way. Even if modulation stops within
the passband, it does not necessarily mean that the frequency is no
longer in use, it could mean that the other station is now transmitting
and can not hear the signals.

But if a human operator is on one side with a modicum of ability to
detect a busy frequency, and the robot side has some kind of ability to
detect a busy frequency, then you don't have the main issue of the
hidden transmitter problem (unless maybe some unusual one way propagation).

Bottom line is the busy frequency detection has been invented, it works
well, and no one should be arguing about whether it can work. What they
should be doing is either trying to implement it from the developers
code, or if they will not share with the amateur community (has anyone
asked?) then try and reinvent it.

Because our bands are relatively small for the number of users,
particularly during certain times, it seem very unlikely that we will be
able to find bandwidth for automatic operation where there is no
requirement (as their currently is) to insure that you are not
intentionally interfering with an ongoing busy frequency as has been
recently suggested. I certainly would not support such an idea
considering that the technology has made it unnecessary.