On 9/18/07, Dave Bernstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The problem is that a one-shot accuracy of 80% is trivially
> achievable, but real use isn't one-shot. My probability-math reference
> is at home out of reach at the moment, so I can't just quote you the
> formula to determine the actual probability of failure given repeated
> one-shot attempts. The bottom line, however, isn't good.

> not. For example, If the busy detector detects modulation on three
> successive samples, then it can conclude that a QSO is in progress,
> and set a substantially higher threshold for inactivity before
> assuming the frequency is clear. One would not implement a busy
> detector as a simple binary device that returns busy or not busy; its
> a context-driven state machine.

Yes, a bounded-backoff mechanism would almost certainly be necessary.
I would probably also choose to implement a detector that required the
channel to appear "clear" for several sequential tests before
initiating communication if this station had not been using this
channel in the past few minutes. The problem is that too long of a
"listen" window, or too long of a QSO-tail overshoot can *seriously*
impact a station that has a large stack of traffic to pass, especially
if each message is separated by a gap to allow other automated users
to communicate with the same station. Of course, such a situation
would result in high enough channel usage that it would be unlikely
any human would honestly believe the frequency was free. Thus, I guess
it's a non-issue.

> An example follows:
>
> There is an ongoing SSB QSO on a given frequency. The automated
> station begins listening for a couple of seconds, and (correctly)
> detects activity on the frequency. It initiates a hold-off for N
> seconds. N seconds pass. It listens again, and (correctly) detects
> activity, initiating another hold-off. This sequence repeats for a few
> times until statistics catch up with us and it (erroneously) detects a
> clear channel and begins transmitting.

> progress on the frequency, the busy detector should not return "not
> busy" based on a single modulation-free sample. At the first
> modulation-free sample during a "QSO in progress" condition, the busy
> detector might begin sampling every 15 seconds and only change state
> to "not busy" after seeing, say, 3 minutes without any modulation on
> the frequency.

See the above response. I suspect that it would take much trial and
error to actually pick numbers that work well, but I agree that such
numbers could be picked. Actually, this is the case where IMO the
automated station(s) should switch to another of the monitored
frequencies. If you study the problemspace ALE is actually designed to
solve, many ways of improving automated station operation in presence
of busy-channel conditions make themselves obvious. No need to
actually use ALE itself . That's a debate for another time, and other
than compatibility with hardware ALE, I'm not convinced there is a
reason to pick the ALE modulation and state machine. However, whether
you use ALE waveforms or not, letting the "server" station scan
multiple contact frequencies, and the "client" station try to initiate
on a frequency that is idle (retrying on different frequencies in the
list until successful) is just an obvious solution.

> suffering for a message-passing system --- except during emergency
> conditions, during which the busy detector would be disabled.

Unless the automated station actually "owns" the frequency (at least
in  emergency times), it would probably be a wise idea to merely
reduce the listen window and shorten the maximum backoff time. The
busy detector, if it works, is important to efficient shared-channel
use between message-passing nodes, and there is also the issue that
the "stepped upon" QSO might itself be life-and-safety traffic.

> This is ignoring that in the above SSB case, even a continuous
> detector is going to misdetect periods of silence or other reduced
> modulation as "channel now empty".

> conservative -- if an automated station's transmitter was given a
> premature go-ahead, one of the participants in the QRM'd QSO could
> send QRL (just as happens today between attended stations), which the
> automated station would instantly respect.

An alternate way of doing this: When initiating traffic on a channel
that the busy detector said was free, make the automated (or
human/automated) station merely initiate its traffic with a "this
channel in use?" canned emission in some standard modulation
(synthetic/recorded SSB, 5 or 10 wpm morse etc) and wait some short
period listening for *ANY* detectable signal. The "we're here, go
away" signal should be at least 10 seconds long, so the detector can
avoid noise-triggering. Assuming no signal detected, the automated (or
human/automated) station initiates its traffic and the frequency is
now in use.

Advantage: Whistling into a SSB mic, keying a CW transmitter,
transmitting anything on most other common protocols would be enough
to busy-flag the transmission. No need for the humans to do anything
"special". No complaints about not wanting to have to reconfigure to
send CW, etc. Just make sure you immediately transmit whatever mode
you're currently set up to transmit.

Random offtopic comment: There's no reason why the ALE sounding and
linking state-machine couldn't be implemented using pretty much any
modulation, assuming you rescaled the appropriate timeouts and such...

--

Regards, Robert Thompson