On 9/18/07, Rud Merriam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In conjunction with getting contributions and collaboration for my site (see
> sig line) I exchanged a few message with Rick KN6KB. I asked him for the
> details on the SCAMP busy detect. He added digging out the details to a long
> to-do list. He did indicate that detecting narrow band protocols (PSK, etc)
> was fairly easy. Detecting broadband protocols is much more difficult
> because when working properly they appear as noise, as per Claude Shannon.
> He did not indicate whether voice could be detected.

Very cool. If you ever get this information, please share! If Rick is
comfortable with it, I'd love to get details; if not, even a general
outline would be useful.

What you describe is pretty much what I'd expect from the method I
described in my previous message. The voice and "noise-like"
modulation pieces might end up needing much more complex detectors.
I'd expect SSB to get detected some of the time, if a high-modulation
burst hit during the busy-analysis window.

A related but not identical challenge would be to find the "listen
window" period that results in best busy-detection yet impacts the
turnaround and transmission/message delay for the automated stations.
Too long of a listen window both places more stress on the "busy
channel" logic and significantly reduces the rate at which messages
(or whatever) can be transferred between automated nodes. Too short a
window leads to misdetecting the gaps in a QSO as clear channels.

Regards, Robert Thompson