If *any* code they link to was GPL, their code is GPL or in violation
of the GPL. This is true of code they cut-and-paste, code they use as
a library and link to, but not code where they call an unmodified GPL
external program.

The idea behind the GPL is that you cannot freeload on the work of the
community. If you improve a tool, the improvements must be returned to
the community under the same terms as you received the original tool.

As far as subaudible tones are concerned, the real issue is how they
would affect the (human) mode. In SSB, they'll look like fixed
carriers offset from zero. This is easy to detect as "signal, thus
busy", even if you can't reliably decode them (you need to know what
their "dial frequency" and USB/LSB setting is to know what that
carrier represents, but then you don't *need* to know)

For FSK, they would be pointless, as there's already one or another
carrier that is itself detectable. They would also create a two-tone
situation which would cause problems with linearity and crest factor.
There are similar issues with PSK and similar. With CW, there's also
no reason.

I would expect that AM voice would be detectable (due to the carrier),
ssb would be difficult, any of the wide/noise-like modulations would
be difficult to detect as well. Anything narrow, or with high energy
in a narrow bandwith, should be easily detected. Multitone modes with
relatively few carriers would be easy for this reason; numerous
carriers "spread" the energy and make it harder to detect unless you
know exactly where the carriers are expected to be.

I can think of several relatively trivial ways to detect the
high-energy/narrow easy cases, but SSB voice and
broadband/"noise-like" modulations... those are the real challenge.

Just off of the top of my head, say, take a one-second-window FFT of
the signal, find the total energy in the spetrum, then find if it's
relatively evenly spread or concentrated in a few buckets. The second
case is likely a busy channel.

--

Regards, Robert Thompson

~   Concise, Complete, Correct: Pick Two
~   Faster, Cheaper, Better: Pick Two
~   Pervasive, Powerful, Trustworthy: Pick One
~        "Whom the computers would destroy, they first drive mad."
~                            -- Anonymous