Most of the radio equipment that hams use today are commercial products.
Of course some do home brew them as well, and some, such as myself make
many other devices (active antennas, meters, QRP rigs, interfaces,
crystal calibrators, etc.) from various parts, some even recycled:). But
even those home brew items mostly use commercial parts.

The commercial modes are those that are intended to be sold on the
commercial market. They are made specifically for that market and are
not made for amateur radio use and don't tend to work well for what we
are doing, which is mostly slow keyboard to keyboard between human
operators.

For example, you do not see any narrow modes for sale commercially that
are readily available for hams to use, e.g., PSK31, MFSK16, Throb,
DominoEX, etc. And then there are variants of the commercial modes that
are primarily intended for ham use, such as when Sitor was adapted to
Amtor, X.25 was adapted for packet AX.25, and recently when the ALE
8FSK125 mode was adapted as a modified ARQ mode as FAE in the Multipsk
program. These programs are not intended to be sold as a commercial product.

The interest, and to a certain extent, the ability of those who have
been writing programs for amateur radio has been primarily for keyboard
modes and not for serious emergency communications or high throughput
ARQ modes, nor automatically adaptable modes that can adjust for
conditions. I am not sure if it is a good idea to be using the ham bands
for personal e-mail access since there really is not enough room to be
doing this for more than a very few hams. If the average ham decided to
do this, we would have serious problems. Look what happened to even the
much wider (but short range) packet networks which eventually could not
handle the amount of traffic going through and became nearly unusable
for multi-digipeating for conversational purposes.

I do support the development of the high speed HF modes for emergency
use and for networks that frequently exercise this capability. If you
don't use it for some other purposes, it won't be built and it won't be
working when you need it. But we need to be careful about developing
commercial use.

I appreciate your comments about Pactor 3 as this is some good
information that lets us know that it can often operate at Level 4 using
the DQPSK waveform with 14 tones, thus the 14 x 100 baud x 2 bits per
baud = 2800 raw throughput.

If it is forced to move to the next lower speed it drops in performance
by half since at Level 3 it drops DQPSK and moves to DBPSK, but still
using the 14 tones which gives you 14 x 100 baud x 1 bit per baud = 1400
raw bps which is less than 600 bps before compression.

Even at the next lower level, at level 2, where it drops to only 6 tones
with DBPSK, that gives you 6 x 100 x 1 bit per baud = 600 bps raw. They
show the net bps at just under 250 bps. This is still a good speed and
with compression should nearly double for many types of text. It should
work well below the noise but it would be a wide bandwidth mode. Since
the tones have mostly double the spacing of 240 Hz instead of the normal
120 Hz spacing, this should make it more robust. The slowest mode has
extremely wide spacing of 720 Hz for only two tones or 2 x 100 x 1 bit
per baud = 200 but with about 77 bps raw net throughput plus compression
bringing it well over 100 bps and should be as robust as anything we now
have for a keyboard mode (except much wider).

With the DSP power of today's computers, we can have competitive modes
with Pactor using sound cards. After all, the Pactor box is basically a
dedicated computer with the equivalent of a sound card to send the tones
to the rig. Because it is a real time kind of system, it is much easier
to provide exact timing for switching speeds but we don't need to do that.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: