--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Jose A. Amador" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I used TERMAN93 with a homebrew FSK modem and my PC in 1997 was a
> 386 at
> 25 MHz with 20 MB RAM. I had to tweak the too simple dot clock
> oscillator to shift it from 14.312 MHz to the correct frequency of
> 14.318181....MHz.
>
> I never knew about G4BMK Multi. But My PTC-II does that and more,
> too.
> And coincidentally, mine rarely goes to 3600, usually the highest
> speed
> attained is 2700.
>
> Jose, CO2JA

Hi Jose,

Those were the days Jose, when we had to make our own TERMINAL UNITS
for RTTY. I really started on RTTY in 1984 with my ZX-81 personal
computer, G4IDE RTTY EPROM, a Homemade Terminal Unit, an 81 LED
Matrix as an RTTY TUNING SCOPE where I could see the MARK and SPACE
TUNING CROSS, a GREEN MONITOR and my Homemade 5 watts SSB transmitter
with a YAESU FRG-7700 receiver. The aerials (20-10 meters 2 element
CUBICAL QUAD and 80-10 dipole) were homemade too. I made thousands of
QSOs this way.

After a few years I made a better TERMINAL UNIT and used my DOS
computer with the BMK-Multi program (by G4BMK) which supported RTTY,
AMTOR and PACTOR 1. They used to call it PACTOR these days. Great
setup. Had many QSOs with it. I still have the above TERMINAL UNITS,
ZX-81, and DOS PC.

Then in 1998 I got a PTC-II and shortly after a PTC-IIe for my
portable HF operations. I use my PTC-IIe with my FT-817 or RACAL PRM-
4031 or FT897D. I use PLUSTERM 2.3 and a small DOS palmtop HP-200LX
with my PTC-IIe and FT-817 or RACAL when I go for a mountain hike.
Extremely light setup. The PTC-IIe controller in PACTOR mode keeps me
in QSO even when I cannot hear the other guy's tones and error free
because of the ARQ and really flies when I have good signals.

I am extremely happy with the way PACTOR 2 & 3 operate and also with
all the other modes my 2 PTC-II controllers support, being RTTY,
PSK31, AMTOR, PACTOR, NAVTEX, FAX, SSTV. I can even exchange DIGITAL
SSTV pictures in PACTOR 3 mode and error free. Of course I also like
SSTV (I'm not mad about DXing and card collecting) and I have built
my own Hardware SSTV controller, not with a P7 cathode ray tube but
with TTLs, RAMS, etc, but this is analogue SSTV and I am not sure if
it is in topic with this group since analogue SSTV is not a digital
mode, despite of what other might say.

Thanks for letting me know your experiences with PACTOR 3.

73 de Demetre SV1UY