Off list, to avoid clutter.

Well, my first setup was a Johnson Ranger and a HRO-60, heavily modified
(1972).

I built a multiband (80-40-20-15-10 m) phasing transmitter with a fixed
9 MHz IF.
Quite similar to a Hallicrafters HT-37. (1973)

I have used dipoles or verticals always, no beams.

I built my own 600 w output amplifier in 1977 (2 x 813). I worked 175
countries with that setup.

My first computer was a used C-64 in 1991.

Now I have a FT-757, a Swan 700 and a PRM-4021. Excellent little radio.
Is the workhorse nowadays.
It is a pity I could not get a 4031, the same thing, all band ,with WARC
bands included. I reoaired my own 4021
and made a 100 w solid state amplifier with two 2SC2290. I have had the
PTC-II since 1998 too, and P III license
since 2004.

Have been teaching in Africa for more than a year. Brought a PC with a
P4 and good soundcard.

Here, it is a bit more difficult to get radios and parts, requieres
quite a bit more per$everance.

73,

Jose, CO2JA

PS: There are at least two ways to do the same thing: The american way
and the european way.
ex:  Cadillac-Citroen
      PK232 - Hamcom + Baycom
      etc, etc, etc.
--
MSc. José A Amador
Assistant Professor

---
Demetre SV1UY wrote:

>  Hi Jose,
>
>  Those were the days Jose, when we had to make our own TERMINAL UNITS
>  for RTTY. I really started on RTTY in 1984 with my ZX-81 personal
>  computer, G4IDE RTTY EPROM, a Homemade Terminal Unit, an 81 LED
>  Matrix as an RTTY TUNING SCOPE where I could see the MARK and SPACE
>  TUNING CROSS, a GREEN MONITOR and my Homemade 5 watts SSB transmitter
>  with a YAESU FRG-7700 receiver. The aerials (20-10 meters 2 element
>  CUBICAL QUAD and 80-10 dipole) were homemade too. I made thousands
>  of QSOs this way.
>
>  After a few years I made a better TERMINAL UNIT and used my DOS
>  computer with the BMK-Multi program (by G4BMK) which supported RTTY,
>  AMTOR and PACTOR 1. They used to call it PACTOR these days. Great
>  setup. Had many QSOs with it. I still have the above TERMINAL UNITS,
>  ZX-81, and DOS PC.
>
>  Then in 1998 I got a PTC-II and shortly after a PTC-IIe for my
>  portable HF operations. I use my PTC-IIe with my FT-817 or RACAL PRM-
>  4031 or FT897D. I use PLUSTERM 2.3 and a small DOS palmtop HP-200LX
>  with my PTC-IIe and FT-817 or RACAL when I go for a mountain hike.
>  Extremely light setup. The PTC-IIe controller in PACTOR mode keeps me
>  in QSO even when I cannot hear the other guy's tones and error free
>  because of the ARQ and really flies when I have good signals.
>
>  I am extremely happy with the way PACTOR 2 & 3 operate and also with
>  all the other modes my 2 PTC-II controllers support, being RTTY,
>  PSK31, AMTOR, PACTOR, NAVTEX, FAX, SSTV. I can even exchange DIGITAL
>  SSTV pictures in PACTOR 3 mode and error free. Of course I also like
>  SSTV (I'm not mad about DXing and card collecting) and I have built
>  my own Hardware SSTV controller, not with a P7 cathode ray tube but
>  with TTLs, RAMS, etc, but this is analogue SSTV and I am not sure if
>  it is in topic with this group since analogue SSTV is not a digital
>  mode, despite of what other might say.
>
>  Thanks for letting me know your experiences with PACTOR 3.
>
>  73 de Demetre SV1UY

Participe en Universidad 2008.
11 al 15 de febrero del 2008.
Palacio de las Convenciones, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
http://www.universidad2008.cu