*confused look*

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "expeditionradio"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Bill N9DSJ wrote:
> > JT65 is not an automatic or semi-automatic mode in any sense of
the
> > definition.
>
> Bill,
>
> JT65a is certainly an automatic mode.
> It is as automatic as any other automatic system.

Department of Redundancy Department

> It perfectly fits the definitions of automatic in both the strictest
> sense and in many other ways, figuratively, literally and as used in
> RF communications:
>
> 1. It has an "AUTOMATIC" button.

So does my dishwasher; think the issue at hand is not as simple.

> 2. The operator programs the software to transmit, and it starts
> sending various transmissions automatically.

The operator keys it to transmit and it sends a message under local
operator control.

> 3. It responds automatically to other stations with pre-programmed
> sequences.

No, it does not. It does not transmit without an operator initiating
the transmit sequence. It does not respond automatically to other
stations as you well know.

> 4. It automatically logs other stations.

In a sense..it listens :)

> 5. It automatically sends and receives a series of canned QSOs.

It sends macros when the control operator tells it to; as does my cw
keyer..not sure it matters what it receives.

> 6. It automatically send CQs every minute.

No it does not, know of no others that do so without operator
intervention. You must have yours horridly mis-configured or hacked.

> 7. It sends confirmations automatically.

No it does not. You must have yours horridly mis-configured or hacked.

> 8. It automatically tunes and prints stations in that may be off
> frequency.

It decodes other signals within its passband, same for a human op
using CW given a good ear. Actually Multipsk and others decode
psk31/63, CW and RTTY within the passband too. This is in receive
mode so hence not sure it is what the controversy it about.

> 9. It automatically QSOs with other stations using JT65A while
> automatically ignoring any other mode that may be on the same
>channel.

No it does not.

> 10. It transmits automatically various transmissions repeatedly or
> according to a programmed schedule until it is released by the
operator.

It is under local operator control, you are correct in that.

> 11. The operator does not need to be present for the completion of a
> QSO... hit the AUTO button, walk away, and come back later to view
the
> confirmation of your automatic QSO.

Incorrect; really Bonnie, you have used jt65A and know better...there
is no way to "walk away, and come back later to view the confirmation
of your automatic QSO" unless you mean only seeing a final "73"
or "rrr" sequence later much the same as rtty or any other digital
mode, if anyone that has ever used JT65 can explain
this, I am all ears....

> 12. It sometimes even automatically receives calls, where none
really
> existed, depending on how "automatic" it is programmed to be :)

Turn of the deep search option, Bonnie, will kill the bogus decodes.

> As you can see by the above examples, JT65A certainly fits the
> definition of automatic.

Actually no, I cannot see that. But is it an *intentionally*
unattended/automatic mode that reponds to queries? Is that not the
question at issue?

> So, Bill, there's no reason to deny that JT65A is a wonderful
> automatic mode.

Only reason might be the facts.

> It's one of the best weak signal QSO modes to come
>along. The fact that JT65A is automatic is nothing to be ashamed of.

Is not automatic, so hence no shame involved :)

And even if it were, do you equate shame to automatic modes?

> Definition of Automatic
> Main Entry: au·to·mat·ic
> Pronunciation: "o-t&-'ma-tik
> Function: adjective
> Etymology: Greek automatos self-acting
> 1. done or produced as if by machine : MECHANICAL <the answers were
> automatic>
> 2. having a self-acting or self-regulating mechanism <an automatic
> transmission>
> 3. of a firearm : firing repeatedly until the trigger is released

no  <the answers were automatic>
no <an automatic transmission>
no "firing repeatedly until the trigger is released"

And perhaps at the root, not "self-acting" which is the core
etymology.

BTW, I have no problems with the automatic, semi-automatic or
unattended stations in of of itself.

> 73 Bonnie KQ6XA

Be well Bonnie, 73

Bill N9DSJ