Hello Rick,

Ok, lets see if we can steer you to some good future ALE contacts.

As you know, a sound card has to measure up to the digital task it is being
tasked to perform. Not all do. That topic I will leave to others that have
covered this so well in the past on different forms many times.

Next it is important that the transceiver being used is calibrated. Doesnt
take too many Hz off frequency to not work well. One hundred hertz is too
much for example. Many of us have ran into that one at one time or another,
right? A couple calibration methods are at:
http://hflink.com/calibration/

The ALE Channel Zero site is a great place to meet other Ale operators and
find an Elmer:
http://hflink.net/qso/

Dont forget that the HfLink forum is a source for information and links to
other Ale operators.

As with any computer system, make sure your computer uses the latest
software and fill files.

With all the Ale contacts going on world wide, I suspect there are some
other issues with your Ale communications problems. Changes in any system
are expected, and the ALE network is no exception. One of the nice parts for
Ale systems is that you can scan and find those stations that you can work.
Real-time status of all HFN Pilot Stations is provided both on the web and
on the air (via hourly station identification). If in doubt about the Pilot
stations you can link with, simply set your radio to receive scan all the
listed primary data channels, and then link with the station(s) on the bands
that are best. NVIS is OK if you can find it, but not needed.

For your having problems I suspect you need to fine tune a bit more. The
nature of a good ALE signal requires a better level of transceiver
calibration, soundcard accuracy, and passband flatness than most other
digital keyboarding modes do.

In time I am sure you will work out your issues. Many have and can assist
you too, on and off the air. Here is one source of setup information:
http://hflink.com/pcale/setup/

Some of your concerns have been addressed before. Keep in mind that all this
is a work in progress. Over time the system will continue to grow, software
and features will be enhanced, and it goes with out saying, that bugs are
being worked on all the time..... just like any other system as it goes from
conception to being routine.

Keep trying, hang in there, and I am sure you will get it worked out.

73 from Bill - WD8ARZ
Current ALE Station Activity
http://hflink.net/qso/
Current Location of ALE Pilot HFN Stations
http://hflink.com/hfn/