John B. Stephensen wrote:
> FPGAs are useful for signal processing as you can do many operations in
> parallel. FIR filter, FFT and CORDIC modules are available in the free
> development software from Xilinx. They are very good for processing
> wideband signals or digitizing an entire amateur band and then filtering
> the result. Unfortunately, the starter kit has only low-speed
> low-resolution ADCs and DACs.
>
> 73,
>
> John
> KD6OZH

Speed and resolution are, of course, relative :)  While those chips
are capable of crunching on half the HF spectrum at once, I was thinking
initially of just audio (for which the on-board converters would be
fine) - kind of a super-TNC, with capabilities (speed/bandwidth) similar
to Pactor-III with no patents, open-source software, and significantly
lower hardware costs.

Sound card modes, of course, have gained popularity due to their
flexibility and low cost - but can't handle the tight timing needed for
pactor-type modes.

It just seemed to me that something like a commercially-available low-cost
FPGA board might be able to get the best of both worlds.

Yeah, I'm suggesting a minor paradigm shift.  Scary.

73,

Paul / K9PS