I hadn't thought of trying a high-speed VHF/UHF modem :)  Maybe
that's because I live away from what most people call civilization
and there aren't many VHF/UHF signals around here.

I'd figured on using a CPU personality for overall control, and
doing the "work" in hardware.

Is the Spartan-3E starter kit (Digilent/Xilinx) the one you're using?

73,

- ps