  From: Paul L Schmidt, K9PS
  To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2008 12:27 UTC
  Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Has anyone looked into FPGA-based digital modes?

  John B. Stephensen wrote:
  > FPGAs are useful for signal processing as you can do many operations in
  > parallel. FIR filter, FFT and CORDIC modules are available in the free
  > development software from Xilinx. They are very good for processing
  > wideband signals or digitizing an entire amateur band and then filtering
  > the result. Unfortunately, the starter kit has only low-speed
  > low-resolution ADCs and DACs.
  >
  > 73,
  >
  > John
  > KD6OZH

  Speed and resolution are, of course, relative :) While those chips
  are capable of crunching on half the HF spectrum at once, I was thinking
  initially of just audio (for which the on-board converters would be
  fine) - kind of a super-TNC, with capabilities (speed/bandwidth) similar
  to Pactor-III with no patents, open-source software, and significantly
  lower hardware costs.

  Sound card modes, of course, have gained popularity due to their
  flexibility and low cost - but can't handle the tight timing needed for
  pactor-type modes.

  It just seemed to me that something like a commercially-available low-cost
  FPGA board might be able to get the best of both worlds.

  Yeah, I'm suggesting a minor paradigm shift. Scary.

  73,

  Paul / K9PS