Someone's acronym generator has gotten into the email again...

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ

-----Original Message-----
From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of David Little
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2008 10:27 PM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [digitalradio] Global traffic and emergencies

Rick, Andy, All,

It is totally unreliable, undocumented and probably not reputable.

I can't remember if it was during Huntsville or Dayton that the headshed
made these assertions and small publicity came out afterwards.

For the most part this discussion has always flown under the radar.

It never gets too much attention, and should probably be swept under the rug
as uncomfortable.

After all, All amateurs can directly interface with FEMA, GEMA, TSA, EPA,
and the other Agencies and Federal entities that make up the SHARES network,
so there is no need for any division between use of FCC (ARRL) Spectrum and
NTIA (MARS /  SHARES / Federal ) spectrum.

Someone has to provide "ground truth" reporting of the actual incident, so I
guess it should be an Amateur from a few hundred miles out, rather than a
local operator using last mile infrastructure.

I guess it is more comfortable thinking that the converse is the rule.
Think about it.

If you were managing communications to save lives and property, would you
rely on relay, or direct contact?

Would you expect remote reporting of local conditions from hundreds of miles
away, when last mile infrastructure was in place and able to do so?

Would you use a group that maintained rigid net discipline and regular,
daily training, or someone who shows up to an Incident Command center with a
dead battery in his HT and hungry?

Would you expect your ARRL AREC diplomas to allow admittance to a Incident
Command site that is functioning under NIMS, or would you travel with
certificates of completion of IS100, IS200, IS700 and IS800A?  (MARS is
considering requiring both; at present, only ICS for Billet Call holders are
required.)

Do you know what NIMS is; what ESF#2 is, what the National Support Framework
is?.

Do you know what TWIC is?  (On December 2nd, you certainly will).

Emergency Communications is a subject that is undergoing great flux...  If
wideband digital modes are what is required to send and receive an IS213
form in proper formatting, it stands to reason that any Federal response
would require the medium that is capable of delivering.  Anything else is
inviting failure.  If the mode is unwelcome on FCC governed spectrum, and
has an active and efficient network on NTIA spectrum, which would you
choose?

As for non ARQ modes, I have used MT-63, Olivia, and even played with
Contestia in 2000Hz bandwidths.  Each is somewhat useful for unformatted
text and forward error correction.  EasyPal looks very promising and the
programmers have been very responsive to tailoring it for the MARS program;
because someone thought enough to ask.  I hope that WinMor will be in the
competition with Pactor III and other Proprietary modes, but it will all
boil down to bandwidth necessary to carry compressed information.  That is
what the entire discussion is and has been about.

At present, the only way to get the job done to the requirements of the
served agencies, on a Federal Response is on NTIA spectrum, as they allow
wide-band digital formats.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain; I was only kidding.

David
KD4NUE