Hi Norbert.

I do not want to discourage you from your experiments, but I would
like to point out, that there are already two tone chat modes designed
for amateur use on HF, namely Throb and ThrobX. DTMF as well as ThrobX
encode each single character into two simultaneous tones. Throb has a
single exception, idle character is encoded as single tone. DTMF does
not shape amplitude, Throb/ThrobX does. DTMF is much wider than Throb
or ThrobX.

I believe DTMF was designed for cheap inexact tone decoders and not
fully harmonic encoders and transmission paths, the tones are picked
so their third intermix product is not exactly aligned with other DTMF
tones. If used on HF, one does not want the IMD product fall outside
of the useful signal. On telephone line it does not matter and some
nonlinearity may be even useful to boost SNR.

On HF I don't believe big tone spacing will bring much benefit when
compared with ThrobX.

73, Vojtech OK1IAK

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Norbert Pieper"