Actually, I was getting the signals very well, but they were not
decoding. I had an S1 noise level and some packets were S9. Now on 20
meters noise is S1 and packets are just above the noise and not decoding
unless they get up to S5 or so from what it looks like. Even though I
know that packet is usually not very effective on HF in terms of the
protocol, I should have been able to decode the stronger ones. I was
using Multipsk and maybe I have something set wrong. So I downloaded
MixW, which is the only other sound card program that I am aware of and
it is decoding at least some headers.

I see a lot of repeats of things like:

N6MAT-9>K7MCH>SABM>P

also

K7MCH>N9LYA>RR3>P

But like most packet that I have copied, it seems that a lot of it is
just headers retrying over and over until they time out:( The concept of
packet is great, (time sharing, multiple connects, routing, etc.) but it
requires signals that are not really possible for HF on a consistent
basis. Even on VHF, packet requires pretty good signals, well above zero
dB S/N and if only we had something that could provide the BBS and
forwarding part with an improved HF practical mode. The only thing that
is in the right direction is FAE400, but there does not seem to be much
interest:(

We have an 80 meter packet group in the state, I think mostly in the
southern half. Not sure what they do but seems like it must be friends
who keep in contact or have an interest in DX maybe, and share info.

When I first started setting up with my rig, I was thinking 2125/2295,
HI, but then when I saw the waterfall, immediately realized that it had
to be around 1700 center frequency with 200 Hz shift. I have noticed a
great deal of variation when attempting to monitor packet and it
surprises me that everyone is not within a few Hz since it would make
the situation even worse! I have rigs that are mostly TCXO controlled so
can be quite close. Even our ICOM IC-7000's have it.

Is the purpose of your network to do RF forwarding and then go into some
local VHF network? We used to have a very extensive system here about a
decade ago but all of that is completely gone. Some nodes are still
used, but were converted to APRS as I understand it.

What software do you recommend to decode? Is this something you use on
the fly or after you collect some data? Maybe there is no sound card
based technology available?