Well, one can have an opinion on whether or not there ought to be 300 baud
packet...but one might just as well have an opinion on whether there ought to
be PSK, or any other mode.  The fact that it is legal and some hams want to use
it should be enough to justify its existence.  Gracious, we still have hams
using AM, even through all the arguments of the 50s and 60s.

Yes, there are a LOT of repeats when the bands are poor.  Signal strength is
not the only criteria.  I don't have a technical background to explain it or
even understand it, but there are plenty of days when a signal of S7 will be
solid copy..and other days when it will not.  I just accept that as "the way it
is" and we do the best we can.  It's the same on any regular net.  If the net
is supposed to meet every day at noon, it does so whether conditions are good
or not.  If that requires lots of repeats, then "that's the way it is".

I use MixW for HF packet, but most of our stations use a TNC.  I have MultiPSK
on the computer and have tried to use it a little bit, but have not been able
to get it to perform as well as MixW.  That may be just that I need to do some
tweaking, but with MixW working so well here, there isn't much incentive to
spend the time at it.  And you are right that the stations should be on the
same frequency, and we work at it, but most of the TNCs don't have a "tuning
eye" so we end up with what everyone thinks is his best frequency.

Our HF nets were an attempt to patch over the loss of the old hop hop hop
system on VHF.  In the less populated sections of the country we kept losing
nodes to forward on VHF because of legal problems having to do with towers, so
many of the technical minded hams moving on to the next "newest thing", etc.
and we have huge gaps in the system.  HF at least lets us move the messages
longer distances to skip over the missing nodes.  We are still tied to the old
300 baud system but as you note, there are some still working on improved
system, and I think it won't be too long until we come up with something
better.  Pactor is obviously better, but requires a large investment that most
hams are not wanting to make for that kind of an operation when it appears that
it is a short term mode.  Someone will come up with a sound card based system
that will be close enough to pactor in usefulness and probably free or at least
low cost.

 Yes, most of our stations also have VHF ports for users.  The number of users
is down overall, I think, but in some areas there is an upsurge in the number
of hams wanting to use packet.  It depends on the information that the local
hams get.  If there is activity, they will be interested in it...if there is
not, they won't even think to try it.  An educational effort on the part of the
present packeteers will bring in new users.

Enjoy.

73  Mark