Wouldn't the variability be due to not knowing the conditions we operate
when on the air vs. the controlled and known conditions during the test?

There are times that a given mode just can not work in a real world
environment, even though you might be able to hear the signal just find.
It just can not print well, and yet another mode that can handle the
conditions of Doppler and ISI multipath can work FB.