> Rick wrote:

> Wouldn't the variability be due to not knowing the conditions we operate
> when on the air vs. the controlled and known conditions during the test?

Yes, that's the problem Rick. It's difficult to mimic on-air conditions with a
simulator and I doubt there's one capable of duplicating the variability of the
real ionosphere.

My gut feeling is that the mode prints closer to the noise floor than my
pathsim sensitivity tests indicate. There's always some degree of ionospheric
distortion on a real HF channel and seeing the mode print at what appeared to
be a lower on-air signal-to-noise ratio vs. the simulators direct-path tests
(no HF channel distortion) was impressive.

This is all speculation on my part so we'll have to test some more. It probably
won't prove anything, but it might be interesting to compare on-air recordings
to the minimum signal-to-noise performance obtained from the simulator.

Tony -K2MO