chas,

What are the MARS operators using MixW for? Are there modes that are not
available on other programs that they find compelling?

I downloaded MixW again today, but it looks about the same as it did in
past years. It is a fairly clean interface (albeit, that is a subjective
thing for an individual user to determine), but maybe not quite as nice
as fldigi, which I think has the best interface in terms of simplicity
and understandability of all the multimode digital programs. The font
rendering in the text windows is terrible. but I have not looked into
the details of whether this can be changed. I would be surprised if it
could not, but the default is very poor.

MixW is nowhere near as polished as Ham Radio Deluxe, and yet they
expect substantial payment for MixW. The world has completely changed in
terms of readily available free and often open source software.

MixW does not have the FAE 400 ARQ modes only available in Multipsk.
That is one mode that I would think MARS might find useful. The one
thing MixW can do over all other software is add in the Q15X25 mode, but
unfortunately that mode has not been practical on most HF circuits.
Does MARS even use the Q15X25 mode?

Some things I like about MixW

- provides general logging from the program, some thing that even fldigi
can not do for non-digital modes
- includes packet, however, this is also available in Multipsk

I guess what you have not answered is what does MixW have that the other
programs do not have? Is MARS use different than for amateur radio use?