Buddy and Rick,

What you are describing seems to be flidigi more than any other program.
Have you tried this program? And unlike Windows-only programs, fldigi
works on more platforms than any other program of its type. Maybe the
RAC CD won't work on fldigi though.

Fldigi is ultra clean and very simple compared to the eye candy type of
programs. Most all the programs now can do rig control but you don't
have to use it. But if you are letting the program do the logging of
frequency and mode, it is very hard to give up, HI. What are the
"strange" modes?  MixW has at least one orphan mode compared with other
programs, but fldigi only has very common modes, plus modes like THOR
which are an enhanced type of IFK with FEC and mostly to be used with
ARQ transmissions for those sending messages or files. I am not sure,
but MixW may not directly support Olivia without a separate set up.
Fldigi, HRD/DM780, and Multipsk work out of the box.

But since the other programs are at least as good, or, even better in
some respects, at least the ones you indicate you prefer, it is hard to
pay for one product when the others are freely available (but you can
donate).

F.R. Ashley wrote:
> My 2 cents worth:
>
> I have tried them all and still prefer MixW.   It is a simple program yet
> does everything I want it to.  It is neat and orderly in layout and
> appearance.   It will use my RAC CD, a lot of  logging programs won't.  I
> just click on a callsign and the logging info fills right in.
> I've tried MultiPSK, and to be honest, it does a lot, but gawd, that is one
> UGLY looking program.  I don't even like to look at it.  HRD is nice, but I
> don't need all those moving screens and options.. again, it is just too
> "busy" for me.  I don't need a computer program to change frequency for me,
> I can turn the knob myself.  I don't need  a program that is packed with a
> bunch of strange modes that are rarely, if ever,  used.  Fldigi won't run on
> my computer, but I notice a few things that would keep it from being my main
> digital/logging program.
> We all have our likes and dislikes, none of us are right or wrong, just
> different in what we like to use.  Since MixW is not free, that alone will
> drive some guys to HRD, etc.    MixW's attraction for me is it's simple, and
> does it all.
> If the authors of MixW decide to abandon it,  I'd keep using it unless
> another progarm came up with something really great that would entice me to
> change.
>
> 73 de WB4M
> Buddy

and

It is all about the visual simplicity of its interface . . . elegant in
its minimalism. And I say that truly as a complement. Although I like
HRD and MultiPSK both for other reasons, MixW is easier to use. More
pleasing to the eyes especially versus MultiPSK.

Rick - KH2DF