On 06/17/2009 05:17 PM, Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF] wrote:

Rick W skrev:
You could use an external device as others have suggested. I don't
generally recommend the SignaLink USB due to the low frequency noise
problem, however many hams either ignore it or are not aware of it.
Further, after some considerable denial on the part of Tigertronics,
they may have corrected this in later versions, but I can not yet
confirm that.

On the other hand, I do recommend the SignaLink USB for the simplest
possible portable unit such as might be used for public
service/emergency communications and you don't want to be concerned
about COM ports or USB to COM adapters. Just plug in the USB to the
computer and plug in a rig specific cable and you can operate.

If you really like the simplicity of the SignaLink USB ( I do), you can fix it's various problems, see Here:

http://www.frenning.dk/OZ1PIF_HOMEPAGE/SignaLinkUSB-mods.html

I did these mods on my SignalLink USB.

It made a huge difference, just like the article said it would.

Since I stole the transformers out of old 8 bit modems and I had a little toroid to wind up the inductor the total cost was about $2.50. I repainted the outside shell at the same time and the Hammertone dark grey paint cost more than the parts. I hated the putty color.